Last year, the Smartcom staff had a photography challenge at the office. Each week, staff took photographs based on specific themes, which were then judged by a professional photographer.
It came as no surprise that some of the best amateur photos entered into the competition were taken by smartphones. What did surprise us, however, was the dominance of photos taken by Huawei smartphones. Back then, the Huawei P9 was just a couple of months old, and with a lower price tag than other flagship phones, it was quickly gaining traction in the South African market.
Most Android users who switched to the Huawei in recent years, has been pleasantly surprised and we bet they won’t be disappointed with the latest P10.
Here is what you need to know about the P10
- Similar to its predecessor, the P10 is a brilliant camera phone. It has a dual camera setup on the rear. The dual camera setup is a 20MP monochrome sensor working in tandem with a 12MP colour shooter. One of the big highlights of the P10’s camera is the new Leica-branded portrait mode. It combines the fake bokeh effect, which blurs the background of an image, with the beauty mode effects. This portrait mode is available on both the back and front (selfie) cameras.
- Selfie-masters are not the only ones who will be impressed by the Huawei P10. Music and movie lovers will also be rather fond of this smartphone. The Google Play Music app comes preinstalled on the device, and they’ve included a dedicated music app for playing audio files which has been uploaded directly to the phone. While Bluetooth speakers will work perfectly on this device, Huawei has decided to stick to the 3.5mm headphone jack, unlike other brands like Apple and HTC.
- The fingerprint scanner is a massive selling-point of this smartphone. This is the first time Huawei has put its security scanner on the front of the phone. It might take some time getting use to navigating your phone, as the fingerprint scanner basically replaces the home button. Once you are used to it, however, it actually speeds up the browsing experience on your phone.
Here are the specs of the Huawei P10
- Dimensions: 145.3 x 69.3 x 7 mm
- Weight: 145 g
- Display type: IPS-NEO LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours
- Screen size: 5.1 inches
- Screen resolution: 1080 x 1920 pixels (~432 ppi pixel density)
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- OS: Android OS, v7.0 (Nougat)
- CPU: Octa-core (4×2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53)
- GPU: Mali-G71 MP8
- Card slot: microSD, up to 256 GB (uses SIM 2 slot)
- Primary Camera: Dual 20 MP + 12 MP, f/2.2, OIS, Leica optics, phase detection and laser autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash, check quality
- Secondary camera: 8 MP, f/1.9
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 3200 mAh battery