Apple’s Home Sharing is one of those hidden iOS gems that many Apple users often forget about. In case you are not sure how it works, here is an update.
What is Apple home sharing?
In short, Apple Home Sharing is a feature that allows you to share content from your iTunes library with other iOS devices. You can use Home Sharing with up to five devices, which can include computers, iPads, iPhones and your Apple TV (which will show the content on your normal television once linked).
This is great for sharing and streaming music, movies, books and apps with devices used by the whole family.
How does it work?
- Firstly, you need to make sure that all of your devices are on the same home network. You will need an internet (WiFi) connection for this.
- Secondly make sure you have the latest iOS version installed on your device.
Home Sharing for your Mac or PC
- Open iTunes.
- Sign in with your Apple ID. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
- From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, choose File > Home Sharing > Turn on Home Sharing.
Home Sharing on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Go to Settings > Music. Or go to Settings > Videos.
- Scroll down to the heading called Home Sharing.
- If you see, “Sign in,” tap it. Then enter your Apple ID and password. Use the same Apple ID for every computer or device on your Home Sharing network.
Home Sharing on your Apple TV
- On your Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > Accounts > Home Sharing. On earlier models of Apple TV, go to Settings > Computers.
- Select Turn on Home Sharing.
- Then enter your Apple ID and password.
If you need any further help setting up Home Sharing on your Apple devices, you can consult the Apple website here.